Friday, June 18, 2010

The Little Things

Well, first for the health news. I met with Dr. Martin again this week, had a few more tests done or redone. I am feeling good overall and the numbers have stayed up. After talking with her we agreed that I would start back on the Danazol again and see if it really was helping. I am convinced that I just overexerted myself visiting with family and friends in early April. Totally my fault. She has also left it up to me when I decide to come in and get blood transfusions and how many units. We also further discussed the splenectomy and I will be meeting with the surgeons in the near future. I am more than a little nervous about this, once it’s done there simply is no spleen anymore and I’m not sure how I feel about that… not to mention the risks associated with the surgery.

Now, on to the little things. We are all acutely aware of how the little things in life can and do affect us. All little things can set the pace or tone for our entire day. It’s funny how the little things seem to attract their own kind too. Once one little thing goes wrong in the morning it seems like every little thing that happens is “bad”. Likewise when our day starts out good it seems like all the little things that happen are good. The best part is when we are having one of those days that seems to attract bad little things and someone comes along and says or does that one little thing that turns it all around. They hold a door, flash a smile, or tell you how well your kids are behaving (as if I need someone to tell me… LOL!). The point is all it takes is one little thing to make or break someone’s mood. Why then is it so hard for us to do the nice little things for someone else? Does it really matter that the person is a complete stranger? I certainly don’t think so…

It’s funny how many of us treat complete strangers better than those we love sometimes too. How many of us will open or hold a door at a restaurant or the library for a complete stranger but not open the door for our spouse? How many of us will say hello or goodbye to those we work with at the office or tell the cashier at the supermarket to “Have a nice day” or “Have a great weekend!” and yet not even tell our wife or husband hello after they get home from a long day at work? Sometimes we take little things for granted and sometimes that can add up to a HUGE thing. I don’t need to tell you where THAT can lead. The weekend is upon us so I urge you all to do some little things for someone you love, and for someone you have never even met. Who knows, you may even make a friend for life or you could even save a person’s life. Those little things ALL have the potential to become GREAT things, it’s all up to you… what will YOU do with them?

2 comments:

  1. Tracy
    The chickens are doing ok, We are down to 8 but will get a dozen from Doyle next week. We will Also get 4 Turkeys next week.

    My dad had his spleen pulled 2 years ago and is doing fine. It took about 2 months for him to recover and he does not get a "second wind" after he is tired. But otherwise is fine. Good Luck and god bless you.
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten behind on your updates, and I'm sorry about that. I read this one and the previous one, so I feel like I've kind of caught up. Things have been busy, and I've not been using the computer much. I haven't blogged in months, and I'm not keeping connected through Facebook lately either. Luckily, I do still check email, so I've not completely fallen off the grid! Both kids are home, and I'm loving it!
    I'm glad to hear that your transplant journey is making progress, and I applaud you for your courageous move in that direction.
    Lots of love to you and Sarah and the kiddos!!!

    ReplyDelete